Saturday, April 15, 2017

here are some haiku / standing here looking at you / say kon'nichiwa

I wanted to share some haiku I wrote, but before I do, I wanted to start with a few by Japan's most renowned haiku poet, Matsuo Bashō, who lived from 1644 to 1694. These are translated by Jane Reichhold. Enjoy.

114
ah haru haru
yōinaru kana haru
to un nun

ah spring spring
how great is spring
and so on

29
haru kaze ni
fukidashi warau
hana mogana

spring winds
hoping the flowers burst
out in laughter

96
hatsu hana ni
inochi shichi jyū
go nen hodo

first blossoms
seeing them extends my life
seventy-five more years



my haiku about haiku


the words are loaded
in the poetic pistol they wait
bang! flowers appear!


simple only, so
around, it sees, it hears, so
in the moment, so


the haiku – not clear
a few words say what they say
everyone says what?


the black ink stands small
tries to fill the empty page
white space fills the rest


a poem is
a suitcase of words
packed with brain, heart, and soul
ready for travel





No comments:

Post a Comment